Questions for Your Mesothelioma Doctor can help the patient to understand his/her condition. Receiving a diagnosis of mesothelioma can be scary and shocking. However, as other cancer patients know, knowledge about your condition can change the way you treat it. As your mind reels with questions, understand that your cancer specialist can provide you with the information and tools that you need to make the road ahead an easier one. If you are having trouble calming your mind to think of questions you might want to ask, reference the list below. You may also use this as a springboard for other questions.
Learn the most you can about the disease. It is essential that you know which kind of mesothelioma you have and what that means for you. Questions for Your Mesothelioma Doctor may include
- What are the types of mesothelioma, and which type do I have?
- In what ways are the types similar and different?
Your Diagnoses Questions
Staging cancer offers insight into your prognosis. It determines the development of your mesothelioma and which tissues, organs, and cavities have been infected. Overall, knowing the stage of mesothelioma can better prepare you and your oncologist to make treatment choices.
- What stage is my cancer in? (I, II, III, IV)
- What does my stage mean, and what characteristics define that stage?
- How does my stage immediately affect my health and quality of life?
- Can my stage change, or will it remain the same now that I have been diagnosed?
Selecting treatments is a very personal choice that must be discussed with your doctor and your loved ones. The form of treatments you choose can affect your chances of survival as well as your immediate lifestyle. Understanding all of the options may empower you to feel as if you are fighting this battle with everything you have. Treatments can range from traditional and heavily researched forms such as surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. However, some experimental and holistic options have gained in popularity, although enough research has not been performed to support their claims.
Questions for Your Mesothelioma Doctor
- Does my stage of cancer have many treatment options? If yes, what are they?
- As an expert, what treatments do you recommend the most?
- Why do you think these treatments are best for me?
- What are my chances of survival given these recommended treatments?
- How will these treatments affect my time with loved ones?
- How long do these treatments take, and how long do I need to recover?
- What can I do to benefit the treatment process?
- What side effects, if any, will I most likely experience?
- What should I expect when I go in for treatment?